Saturday, January 12, 2008

New additions

Last night was my my 3 year anniversary with my wife so we went out to Mitchell's Steakhouse and then bowling after. I didn't do terribly bad bowling but we had fun because we were able to drink a bit. My wife surprised me with a nice cake that she had a girl from her work make. Actually it wasn't my wife, Pixie and Sasha surprised us but my wife did the talking with her friend.

After waking up a bit later this morning, my wife and I ventured out to do some errands and then I stopped by a local reefer's house to trade a coral we'd previously arranged the other day to trade. This guy has a very impressive setup. He has about a 300 or 400 gallon aquarium in his den, and it is plumbed to his basement where he has a frag tank and a sump, then everything is plumbed to a drain where which he uses to do easy water change outs. Anyway, I traded my colt coral mother colony for a baseball size Tan Montipora Digitata and a same 3" piece of a Red Monti Cap.

Here is a picture of them drip acclimating to my tank water.



Here is a picture of them a few minutes after they've been added to my tank. They are just getting used to it so their polyp extension won't be at it's maximum until a few days later but I will post more pictures later.

Tan Montipora Digitata

Red Monti Cap

I also got a Red Tuxedo Urchin in hopes of helping my hair algae problem.
I'm also thinking of plumbing a closed loop as well to distribute the flow a little better but I found out today that they make a rotating nozel for $15 that distributes the flow better. I'll ponder both ideas for the next update. Until then happy reefing!


1 HOUR UPDATE:
I just snapped another photo, it seems that the digi acclimated faster to the tank then what I had though. Here's his polyps extended, more photos to come in a few days.
Oh and here are my almost 3 year old clowns posing for a picture after checking out their new corals.

No comments: